Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Training

I have been trying so hard lately to get Sierra potty trained. I can't believe I thought I would have her trained by 18 months, boy, was I kidding myself. As soon as she learned to walk I was putting her on the potty. I would sit there with her forever and praise her just for sitiing there, then eventually she would go, probably just because she needed to and she had sat there for so long, and I would get so excited. I tried giving her a small treat for a reward, but at 18 months after the treat was gone she would just stand at my legs and scream for more, she didn't understand that she was only getting a treat for peeing on the potty. Finally when it got close to Reece being born I gave up. I didn't want to work really hard to have her potty trained just for her to regress after the baby was born. Now it's over a year since I had Reece and we are finally making progress. She goes most of the day without any accidents, I think it has really helped having her in preschool. She sees the other kids going potty and wants to do what they do. I've even decided to keep her in panties at night, she's had one dry night and one accident so far. I decided with Reece I'm going to wait until he is really interested in potty training before I try anything. I'm definetly not going through 18 more months of potty training.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, we learn from our mistakes. Been there, done that. But remember, each kid is different and Reece just might surprise you. I'll cross my fingers for ya. Muah!!!

Shannon said...

I am still in shock that you tried to train Sierra at 18 months! What were you thinking?...j/k :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindi, we've just finished catching up with all the blog. It was fun to read everything and to see all the great pictures. We are so glad that all the girls are close, cuz we love to read their comments.

NICHOLE said...

I wish Tanner would be ready. I am so jealous!! I have been putting him in pullups and he just pees in them like a diaper! He begs to have them on and doesn't like diapers anymore.